Research - M.Sc. Marcel Storch
The "Battle" of Hürtgen Forest
- Research area: Kall-valley (located in the Eifel in western Germany)
- Battle between American and German soldiers towards the end of World War II
- Problem: damage / loss of historical remains by illegal excavations, re-enactors and deforestation
- Objectives: Digital documentation of historical remains by generating high-resolution digital ground models out of UAV-LiDAR data, detect recent changes and automate the process of detecting terrain anomalies using image segmentation algorithms https://www.konfliktlandschaften.uni-osnabrueck.de/iak_working_paper_berichte/iak_short_report_nr_4.html
- Research area: War cemetery Dalum (part of the Nazi labour camps known as “Emslandlager” located in Northwest Germany)
- Problem: The exact number of victims and the location of the graves are still unknown.
- Objectives: Evaluate the potential of UAV-LiDAR and terrestrial LiDAR for grave detection in combination with other non-invasive methods like ground penetrating radar, ground magnetometer. https://www.konfliktlandschaften.uni-osnabrueck.de/iak_working_paper_berichte/iak_short_report_nr_3.html
Project “Connecting Memory” – Netzwerk Erinnerung
- Cooperation with the "Foundation Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe"
- Research area: Western Ukraine
- Problem: The exact locations of several Holocaust mass graves are still unknown.
- Objectives: Generate precise digital ground models out of UAV-LiDAR data acquired by a local company from Kyiv to aid in the detection and therefore the protection of these graves.